24 March 2011

setting up the room

Before:


 After:

Every time we do Godly Play, I set up the room like this. It is not a chore! I usually find that setting up the room helps me to prepare for the session. And sometimes I have help - one week a child who had arrived early positioned the Holy Family for me. I always have help with putting the furniture away and collecting the materials to be taken home again. 

(For a more detailed description of what is in our room, see the chart in this post and/or explanations of our different "shelves" in this post.)

2 comments:

  1. question for you ...

    why use a focal shelf rather than the altar table which is already there

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fair question, stf. It would save moving two pieces of furniture :)

    I've had to re-write my reply three times, because it kept threatening to turn into a blog post of its own. Briefly, the two biggest reasons were: 1) The first time I went to look at the room, the table looked 50 times worse than it does in the photo here. 2) I worried it would be too high for all the children to be able to see and use the objects on it easily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for conversing with me about Godly Play®! I do moderate some comments for the sake of the children I write about. Please be polite: to quote the Velveteen Rabbi, Whatever you're going to say in response to my posts, consider whether it's the sort of thing you would say to your host or their children if you'd been invited to someone's home for tea. If it isn't, then please don't say it here.

If you're new to commenting on blogs, I recommend that you "Comment as" Name/URL. You can use your real first name or a nickname. URL is the address of a website that you want to be linked with your name - feel free to leave it blank. Before your comment is accepted, you have to pass a spam filter. After clicking on 'post comment' or 'preview', just type in the sequence of letters you will then see (or click on the wheelchair for a recording of characters to type). Thanks for reading and commenting!